Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cold Hearted by Beverly Barton


From Amazon:
Private investigator Rick Carson has been hired to find out who murdered Georgia Sen. Dan Price and finds himself falling for Price's trophy widow, Jordan, even though she's his prime suspect. Gorgeous, steely Jordan stands to inherit a substantial estate and has a history of losing husbands and boyfriends to questionable fatalities, and Price was killed with Jordan's gun. But a sizable cast of quirky hangers-on who rely upon Jordan for room and board complicate matters: any one of them could be responsible for not just the senator's death but also the string of corpses that litter Jordan's past. The more Rick investigates, the more certain he is that the woman he's in love with could be a coldhearted killer. His two minds drive some refreshing twists that leave readers guessing to the end and making the latest from suspense artist Barton a satisfying read.


Wow - I must say this book was excellent. I can see where it may figure in to an earlier series, but I read it as a standalone and no real clues were given away to what took place in the earlier books (besides the one married couple). I really liked Rick and Jordan as characters and at times it could be frustrating watching them fight their feelings, but you understood they had good reasons. The suspense was built really well. I went back and forth on who I suspected and really didn't get it right at the end. Ms. Barton was great at throwing the suspicion on every one that made sense in the story and keeping you guessing. I honestly had a hard time putting this one down (but work, cooking and the kids kind of demanded some of my attention). This wasn't my first by Ms. Barton and it definitely won't be my last. I enjoy her romantic suspense immensely. She has a good balance of romance with the suspense.


On Sale Date: September 1, 2008
Date Started: 03-23-09
Date Finished: 03-25-09
From: My TBR
Publisher: Mira
Rating: 4.5/5.0
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Rick Carson, Jordan Price
# in Series: 5 (if you count it as part of Griffen Powell series - but I believe it's more standalone, just has Griffen as a character)
Previous books in series: Killing Her Softly, Close Enough to Kill, The Dying Game, The Murder Game (I have not read any of these)
Pages: 403


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love comments on the blog and do take the time to read them.