Thursday, June 17, 2010

Book Review: Last Track by Sam Hilliard

The Last Track by Sam Hilliard
Publisher: Buddhapuss Ink, LLC
Publish Date: February 13, 2010
ISBN: 978-0-9842035-1-2
Trade Paperback, 286 pages


My Review:

The Last Track by Sam Hilliard starts off with a bang and never lets up.  I was completely engrossed from the first page.  Not only did the storyline intrigue me, but the character of Mike Brody fascinated me as well.

The book has a great suspense plot, but that is not the sole focus.  It also focuses on Mike as a person and how he feels about what he does and about his life.  I liked his talent, it's different and very useful, but you can also see the stress it puts on him.  He wants to do his best for everyone, but he can't do it all and he struggles with this in some ways and has control in others.  I found him interesting because he pretty much says what he thinks and doesn't let social graces get in the way of finding someone.  His ex-wife, Jessica is also an integral part of the story.  Between the two intersecting storylines, there is never a dull moment in this book.

There is so much going on in this book at times I found myself a little confused, but I would quickly figure it out and move right along with the plot.  I really found myself wishing this was not a busy week and I could have sat down and read this from start to finish in one sitting and really enjoyed it.  It breaks up well too though since each day is divided into times and the viewpoint varies between Sean (the missing boy), Mike, Jessica and the bad guys.  With these varied viewpoints I really felt like I got to see this story from all sides, yet there was still plenty that was left to figure out. In fact, during most of the book, I kept wondering if that person or this person was in cahoots with Crotty (the known bad guy).  But it was kept tense right up until the end. 

Mr. Hilliard does a wonderful job with characters and plot making this a fast and enjoyable read.  I hope the Mike Brody series continues because I really enjoyed this first installment and hope to learn even more about Mike during further books. 

My Rating:  4.5/5.0 

About the Book:

See my tour post for more information about the book and the author.



CymLowell

1 comments:

Darlyn said...

I live it when authors know how to make their books enjoyable =) Great review!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love comments on the blog and do take the time to read them.