Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Favorite Reads - August 20th


Alyce at At Home With Books has started hosting a weekly meme with her favorite reads of the past. I decided to join in on this great idea so I can remember some books that have stuck with me through the years. To see other favorite reads and join in go here.

This week I thought I would go all the way back to pretty much my favorite book of all time. I read it as a teenager while on vacation. I had just started reading the horror genre and this author and wow what an introduction. Now don't get me wrong, I love a lot of his books, but since this was my first by him - it really stuck with me. It's one of the few books I have re-read and would re-read again.

They were just kids when they stumbled upon the hidden horror of their hometown. Now, as adults, none of them can withstand the force that has drawn them all back to Derry, Maine, to face the nightmare without end, and the evil without a name.

Yes, it's It by Stephen King - something about a killer clown from the sewer and four childhood friends that just made this story so good for me. Scared me to death too. And a great introduction to Stephen King. I have read most of his books now, but I still love this one. It really opened my eyes to the horror genre which I began gobbling up as a teenager. I did eventually slack off of the horror genre, but I do return from time-to-time.

2 comments:

Cecelia said...

Eeesh! Scary! I'm not a horror reader, but if I ever feel the need to pick one up, I'll remember this book. I'm getting chills just from the description and cover...

You can find my My Favorite Reads post here.

Alyce said...

Ok, I have to admit that I haven't even browsed through this book because I was so terrified of the movie. I happened to be flipping through tv channels as a young teen and caught part of the movie version and that was enough to foster a life-long fear of clowns. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love comments on the blog and do take the time to read them.