Monday, November 18, 2013

Author Interview: J. S. Marlo (Cold Sweat)

Today I welcome J.S. Marlo author of Cold Sweat, a Heat and Endurance Series novel. Check out Cold Sweat and enjoy the interview with the author!



Cold Sweat
    Can they conquer the mountains and the past in time to save Hope?

       Seventeen-year-old Hope Craig is deaf and training hard to make the biathlon Olympic Team. But when is kidnapped from the groomed trails and taken into a remote cabin in the mountains, she must battle more than the elements to survive.

        On the hunt for her daughter's abductor, Colonel Amelia Matheson enlists the help of Richmond Morgan, a local Sheriff who once hurt her. To find Hope, Sheriff Morgan and Colonel Matheson must untangle a web of secrets, including their own.

        Using her wits and skills, Hope sets out to escape the mountains and save the man her mother had sent to rescue her—a man who is not who he appears to be.

What 3 things do you need in order to write?
laptop, peace, and quiet.

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

Iceland, and I'm hoping to go there for a week of hiking in the near future.

When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?

For as long as I remember, the dream has been there. I've always been scribbling and imagining stories, but about five years ago, I decided to take the next step and I started sending queries. And next week, my fifth novel is being released. It's been an amazing journey, and it's not over.

What's the first sentence of Cold Sweat?

Blistery fire, Hope. What possessed you to name your father?

Tell us what Cold Sweat (Heart & Endurance Series) is all about.
The Heart & Endurance Series revolves around high performance athletes. These young people are driven and passionate individuals whose spirits are not easily broken and whose choices are not always what one would expect. In Cold Sweat, Hope is a 17-year-old deaf biathlon athlete who's training for the Olympics trial.

When Hope disappears without a trace from the snowy trails during a routine practice, her mother, an army colonel with one too many secrets to hide, enlists the help of a local sheriff, a man who once hurt her, to search for her only child.

Dish, who’s your favorite character?
I don’t know if "favorite" is the right adjective, but there are two characters that stayed with me for the longest time after I read their story.  Meggie and Father Ralph in The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough.

What would you say is Col. Amelia Matheson most prized possession?

Her daughter Hope.

What book would Hope Craig have on her nightstand?
A Star Trek novel.

For all of us impatient readers, what is up next for you?
I'm currently working on two more books. One will be part of the Heart & Endurance Series, the other will be my first dip into the paranormal. I'm not sure which one will be ready first, but it's spookily fun to work with ghosts.

What one book that turned you on to reading?

I read my first "real" novel when I was about 10 or 11 years old. It was during the summer and I was at my grandparents' cottage. On the second floor, there were hidden crawling spaces between the closets which I loved exploring. One day, I found a book in a dark corner, covered with dust bunnies. It was a Harlequin novel with the pages all yellowed and wrinkled. I can't remember the title, but there was a nurse in a white dress and nursing hat on the cover. The story was about her and one of her patients. It was the first romance novel I read, and I read it hidden in the closet with a flashlight. I can still see the book in my mind. I don't know what became of it, but it hooked me on reading.

What book(s) are you reading right now?
I just finished When Love Calls by Lorna Seilstad, and I'm about to start the new Nikki Heat from Castle.

Describe yourself in 140 characters or less.
I have too much imagination. I'm married to a great guy. I have three wonderful kids and a little granddoggie. And I'm French Canadian. 

What do you enjoy doing when you aren’t writing?
I love to walk, to travel, to do puzzles, to knit, and to read.

Thanks for having me here today. It was fun!
Hugs,
J.S. Marlo

www.sites.google.com/site/JSMarloAuthor
www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=55







1 comments:

J.S. Marlo said...

Thanks for inviting me in your reading room, Crystal. It was very cozy and I had a great time.
Have a lovely day,
J.S.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love comments on the blog and do take the time to read them.