Sunday, January 3, 2010

Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

The Dark Divine The Dark Divine by Bree Despain


Publisher: Egmont USA
Publish Date: December 22, 2009
Pages: 375
Format: Hardcover

I received this from the publisher for review (along with a great shade of nail polish to match the toenail polish on the front cover)


My rating: 5.0/5.0

This was a truly amazing book to me. I enjoyed the story and the different look at werewolves/vampires and the paranormal. The one thing that really stood out to me was the fact that even though Grace is a preacher's daughter, she is not portrayed as a girl trying to rebel as is often the case in books. She is normal, she is trying to figure out right and wrong as it fits in her life. I liked the preacher's daughter perspective in this book, I think it really makes the book. I also think you aren't bogged down in the fact she's a preacher's daughter either. She is human, she does make mistakes and doesn't always choose the right thing, but she's not rebelling. She's just trying to get by.

The story is beautifully written and the characters really come alive. The cover is gorgeous but the book is even better. Once I started The Dark Divine I had a hard time putting it down. The plot is well-paced and full of suspense. I never could quite figure out who the monster was until I was told. Clues are given but the overall mystery wasn't given away to me until the appropriate time in the book. It always kept me guessing.

I also liked how the suspense starts on the first page - what happened that night the Daniel left and what has changed Grace's family? Daniel is also compelling and a great hero to Grace's heroine. Both characters are strong, yet unsure, making them both believable. I think this book would be enjoyable to young adults and adults. It has an intriguing storyline and wonderful characters and I just can't say enough about how great this book is.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love comments on the blog and do take the time to read them.