Friday, November 20, 2009

Review: I Heart Bloomberg by Melody Carlson

I Heart Bloomberg I Heart Bloomberg by Melody Carlson




My rating: 4.25/5.0

A fun look at what it's like for four girls who are complete strangers from different backgrounds and with different personalities to move in together.

I was captured from the first page by the girls in this book. Though I must confess Kendall did not grow on me until the end of the book, but the other three girls all touched at a part of me. There is the striking beauty from Hawaii who was a premed student but has dropped out and headed to the mainland leaving a secret behind. There is Anna, the mexican girl who is used to being pampered and taken care of, she is spoiled but she also works. There is also Megan who has just graduated college and lost her father. She is just rying to find her place in this world and get out of a bad living situation without having to move back home. And finally there is Kendall, the spoiled rich girl who brings them all together since she has received her grandmother's house free and clear and she figures she can make an easy living from rent money.

All the girls quickly learn that life is not easy, but Megan, Lelani and Anna all learn to lean on and trust each other and friendship blossoms between them. Megan is the only one strong in the faith, though Lelani and Anna both have strong moral convictions and know right and wrong. Kendall on the other hand is just learning. And as this series progresses I think she will learn more as will all the girls.

I didn't find the girls whiny or annoying. I think you had to take Kendall in her context and that she is the foil to the other girls in the book. I found each of them strong in their own way and all of them just trying to find their way. I think this is a great example of Christian chicklit (there are plenty of designer names thrown around and Lelani works at Nordstrom's).

I thought the storyline moved well and it never lost my interest. In fact I read most of it in one sitting and wished I had Let them Eat Fruitcake to pick up after I finished.

Ms. Carlson writes other fiction in the YA genre and I don't think moving to chicklit is much of a stretch for her at all. It is well written and the characters are wonderful.

About the Book:


Kendall’s managed to wrangle her grandmother’s house—free and clear—except for the rules. No male roommates. But that’s ok, with the right ad she’ll pull in some girls, their rent and if she’s lucky, she won’t have to go to work any time soon.

For their part, Anna, Lelani, and Megan all have their reasons for wanting to move in: Anna has got to get out from under her overprotective parents; Lelani can’t take another day in her aunt’s tiny crackerbox house overflowing with toddlers and Megan needs a place free of her current roommate from Hades. Though they come with assorted extra baggage filled with broken hearts and dreams, they will discover they also have a vast array of hidden strengths.

As they struggle to become the women they want to be, they’ll find new hope and maybe even Kendall will learn a thing or two about life, love and the true meaning of friendship.

Challenges:
100+ Book Challenge
Support Your Local Library Challenge
Fall Into Reading Challenge 2009
Countdown Challenge 2010 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love comments on the blog and do take the time to read them.